Have you ever wondered ‘How to run a competition on Facebook’? Well, this quick and easy guide will get you started.
First of all, before I begin it’s worth saying that if you’re planning on running a competition or giveaway on Facebook, you need to make sure you follow the rules set by Facebook, or you risk having your page shut down.
I know, I know – rules can be boring but if you don’t adhere to them you could lose access to your page and you definitely don’t want that.
Before I give you my top tips on running a giveaway, let’s cover the rules first, so that when you’re coming up with ideas later on, you’ll know what is and isn’t ‘allowed’.
The main things to note when offering any kind of prize on Facebook are:
- “If you use Facebook to communicate or administer a promotion you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion.” This means you’re responsible for setting out the rules, making clear any eligibility requirements and ensuring that what you do isn’t breaking the actual law.
- You must acknowledge that the promotion is in no way associated with or endorsed by Facebook. The easiest way to do this is to post “This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.” right at the end of your giveaway information.
- Personal timelines and friend connections must not be used to administer promotions. Meaning you CANNOT ask people to tag their friends, share on their own timeline or share on a friends timeline, in order to be able to enter your giveaway.
Right, now that the ‘boring’ bit is out of the way, here’s my tips for running a successful competition on Facebook:
- Decide what your end goal is, do you want people to know about your business, sign up for your mailing list or are you just doing it for fun?
- Think of prize that people might actually want, that relates to your business.
- Make it as EASY as possible for people to enter your competition. If the aim of your competition is to increase awareness of your brand and get people to engage with your Facebook page, asking them to comment on the post is a good way to go.
- Set a clear end date for when the competition is closing.
- Tell your follows when and where they can find out about the winner.
- Engage with everyone who enters your competition – you don’t want to get people engaging with you and then ignore them.
- Make it FUN!
- Have some great content lined up to post after your competition, if you’ve increased engagement and gained more followers, you want to hit them hard with interesting, relevant content so you keep them engaged with what you’re doing and don’t lose them.
If you’re struggling to think of an example, here’s one I made earlier…I’ve left the engagement information in, so you can see that this kind of thing works in terms of increasing engagement on posts. This page has around 2,000 likes/followers, just to give you an idea of the scale of the audience. I would personally say anything over a 10% engagement rate is good!
If you want to run a competition or giveaway but are worried about what to do, or simply want some help to set it up and engage with everyone because you don’t have time – drop me a message and let’s have a chat.